The Saturday Parade of Cobras into London, along with the Cystic Fibrosis Charity Rides, the vendor displays and the lineup of Cobras on Main Street is considered, by many, to be the most exciting event of the London Cobra Show. However there are track events, official and self-guided cruises as well as a cruise-in scheduled throughout the week. We hope you will be able to join us for the entire show and possibly win a Cobra as well!
The following are the tentative events and cruises planned for this year’s London Cobra Show. If you are planning to take one of the self-guided cruises, why not round up several other Cobras and enjoy not only the cruise, but the friendship of fellow Cobra owners as well.
Some events, such as our track events are still under development and will be added as soon as all of the details have been established.
The Great Serpent Mound is a National Historic Landmark built by the ancient cultures of Ohio. The mound is one of the few surviving relics of the mound builders, the indigenous people that lived in early North America around what are now the Ohio and the Mississippi Rivers.
The mount is a prehistoric effigy mound that represents a snake with a curled tail. It ranges from 1 foot to just over 3 feet in height, up to 20 feet wide and some 1,330 feet long as it winds its way through trees on a cliff overlooking the Brush Creek valley of Adams County, Ohio.
There have been several theories offered as to what the mound represented to the ancient mound builders. One theory is that it represents an explanation of the phases of the moon, by the representation of a snake swallowing it. Another theory is the serpent is writhing in its death throes as punishment for tempting Adam and Eve in what some believed was the original Garden of Eden. Others theorize it may represent an eclipse and other suggest the serpent is about to swallow an egg.
However no one knows for certain why the mound was constructed or what it meant to the early mound builders. What is known is that the mound was not used for burials and was most likely used for ceremonial purposes only. The very ground where the mound rests is also of interest to archaeologists, as it is full of cave-like or hollow structures. It is thought that perhaps there may be more to this serpent than what is above ground.
The mound is located within the Serpent Mound State Memorial and has been designated a National Historic Landmark by the Department of Interior. The State maintains a museum near the Mound.
This is the world’s largest military aviation museum with more than 360 aircraft and missiles on display. The museum's collection contains many rare, historical and/or technological important aircraft covering the history and development of aviation.
On display are many early pioneering aircraft and many rare, historical and technological important aircraft, such as, Bockscar, the Boeing B-29 Superfortress that dropped the Fat Man atomic bomb on Nagasaki during the last days of World War II and modern aircraft such as the B-2 Spirit stealth bomber (test aircraft) and the F-117 Nighthawk stealth ground attack aircraft and others. In addition, you will find numerous memorabilia and artifacts from the history and development of aviation as well as the National Aviation Hall of Fame.
One of the most famous aircraft in the museum is SAM 26000, better known as Air Force One. This is the plane that carried President John F. Kennedy's body back to Washington, D.C., after he was assassinated in 1963, Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in as president on this plane and Richard Nixon flew on this plane on the first presidential trip to China.
You will also see the aircraft that was dubbed the Hanoi Taxi. At the end of the Vietnam War, this plane brought American POWs back home.
You can also see aircraft in four new galleries - Presidential, Research & Development, Space and Global Reach and you can board a space shuttle, walk through four presidential aircraft, step inside cargo planes, and much more - all with FREE admission and parking.
These two eccentric Ohio castles were built, in the early 1800’s, by Don and Abram Piatt, a pair of French Huguenot descended brothers, who wanted to bring some class to the Ohio wilderness.
Located just three-quarters of a mile from one another, the castles known respectively as “Mac-O-Chee” and “Mac-A-Cheek,”
Mac-O-Chee castle is older, larger, and in slightly more disrepair than the other, but in their day both of the castles were gorgeous examples of old world architecture. Both castles were adorned in rich, intricate woodwork, painted ceilings and even indoor water closets, a luxurious innovation at the time.
Once the original owners passed away, their eccentric homes and their collection of artifacts within were opened as small museums, a state in which they are maintained and preserved today. Both Piatt castles are open for tours and are a popular location for weddings and events, despite the original 1800's water closets.
Movie fanatics can take a tour of the Ohio State Reformatory, which served as the location of the fictional Maine State Prison in
This building is one of the top five castle resembling structures in the United States! The Ohio State Reformatory is home to the world's tallest freestanding steel cell block, consisting of six tiers, 12 ranges, and 600 cells.
Four major motion pictures have been filmed at the Reformatory, including Harry and Walter Go to New York (1975), Tango and Cash (1989), Air Force One (1997), and of course The Shawshank Redemption (1994). In addition, Godsmack's music video Awake (2000) as well as The Moonshine Bandits music video Take This Job and Shove It (2017) were recorded and filmed at the Reformatory.
Long before it became a world-famous movie set, it was considered one of America's most brutal prisons. Some 215, out of the thousands of inmates that passed through its gates between 1886 and 1990 when it was shut down, are reported to have died in the prison.
The Ohio State Reformatory has also been the subject of numerous paranormal investigation shows. Many have reported that inside the haunted remains of the prison one can still hear the footsteps and the whispers of the ghosts of the inmates that died there.
The building was a grand architectural achievement using a variety of architectural styles - Victorian Gothic, Richardsonian Romanesque, and Queen Anne - with large granite pillars and elegant construction covering some 250,000 plus square feet. The Ohio State Reformatory is something you have to see to believe!
What once was a corn field now contains a large eccentric, but hilarious and fun art display of 109 giant ears of white concrete corn sprouting from the ground. The Field of Corn or Cornhenge, as locals call it, immortalizes farmer Sam Frantz, the inventor of a number of hybrid corn species.
Frantz farmed this site from 1935 to 1963, using it as a study field as he developed a number of hybrid corn seeds while working with Ohio State University. He donated this land, now named the Sam and Eulalia Frantz Park, after its farming days were over.
The ears of corn were designed by artist Malcolm Cochran, a professor of sculpture at the Ohio State University. Molds were taken of three original sculptures and were used to precast the 6 foot tall ears of concrete corn. During their installation, the ears were rotated to provide a variety of angles so each ear of corn appears unique. The concrete ears of corn were manufactured in Dalton, Georgia, and shipped to Ohio in four truckloads.
Cochran states “There is a serious side to the work as well: My choice of white concrete was deliberate to mimic, in a subliminal way, the rows of crosses in Arlington National Cemetery. It is ultimately a memorial to agriculture and, by extension, to a way of life and a regional identity that has been replaced by corporate office complexes and housing developments.”
Five bronze plaques trace the history of land use at the site, from Native American time to the present.”
Underneath the farmlands of western Ohio, The Crystal King reigns in Ohio Caverns, with over two miles of surveyed passages.
The caverns were discovered in 1897 by a farmhand, Robert Noffsinger, who was investigating why a sinkhole that filled with water during a long rain then emptied the next day. An underground river was situated in the caverns, carving out various chambers and depositing vast quantities of mud in its wake. After the initial discovery became Mt. Tabor Cave Tours and unscrupulous tourists took out crystals and wrote their names on the walls, the original landowner sold the land to Allen and Ira Smith, who with a crew took three years to clean up the mud in the further reaches of the caverns, lengthening the tour from a quarter-mile to over two miles.
The tour shows the chambers, called “Fantasyland,” “The Big Room,” “The Jewel Room,” and “Palace of the Gods.” One of the highlighted formations is “The Crystal King,” a pure white stalactite that is almost five feet long and an estimated to be 200,000 years old.
SunWatch Indian Village/Archaeological Park is a partially-reconstructed Fort Ancient period American Indian Village along the Great Miami River in Dayton, Ohio. The Fort Ancient culture as defined by archaeologists occupied the Middle Ohio River Valley between about AD 1000 and AD 1650 from what is now southeastern Indiana east to modern day West Virginia.
The stockaded Village is estimated to have been occupied only for 20 years or so. The Village reconstruction includes five lath and daub structures with grass thatch roofs, portions of a stockade, and a native garden and prairie with plants typical of the period.
Inferred astronomical alignments originate from a complex of posts at the center of the Village that have also been replaced. Because of its archaeological and historical significance SunWatch became a National Historic Landmark in 1990.
Journey back into time at the SunWatch Indian Village. The village is located along the banks of the Great Miami River, this extraordinary place hides within a seemingly ordinary setting, but in reality is the original site of an 800-year-old American Indian village.
Please allow a minimum of 45 minutes to complete the tour.
Clifton Mill is a historic site with a vintage mill, covered bridge, '40s-era gas station & casual American eatery that is perched above Clifton Gorge on the Little Miami River. The river is about 20 feet wide at the mill site and is deeply entrenched in layers of bedrock creating a spectacular gorge. About one mile upstream, a large dam creates a millpond to supply water via a millrace to the water-powered turbines of the mill.
Clifton Mill is an impressive structure with six levels. It is built with two floors below the rim of the gorge, and four floors above the rim. The lower level contains the water turbine. The upper levels house all of the milling equipment and storage of the ground corn and wheat. A self-guided tour of the mill is available for a nominal charge with plaques that describe the machinery.
Yellow Springs is a small village with over fifty small locally owned boutiques to explore, all featuring one of kind merchandise from handcrafted pottery to custom designed jewelry to designer shoes. Whether looking for a great burger or a truly gourmet experience, you can find it here, as the village has over 15 eateries and pubs to enjoy.
Art is everywhere in Yellow Springs whether it be a mural, sculpture or public performance. A creative community, that enjoys live theater and music, independent cinema and art in its many forms.
The village of Yellow Springs offer Cobra owners a truly unique shopping/dining experience.